[OT] Dead Video and no keyboard

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 04:38:42 EDT 2010

Richmond, sincere apologies if the slightly flip tone was upsetting in
difficult circumstances.  We are struggling with our own expensive hardware
issues right now, so I know the feeling.

All the same, later and at leisure, the serious point is that it may no
longer be worth struggling with old hardware given how much things have
moved on since PPC days.   You can Hackintosh relatively cheap and lowish
end modern hardware, including Atom, and if you really want or need to run
OSX, and can't afford the current line of Mac boxes, if it were me, I'd do
it in a flash.

We recently had to get a server, and this was an eye opener.  We were going
to recycle an old desktop.  But instead, we bought for a couple hundred
euros a new server, roughly the size of a thick paperback.  15 watts
consumption, 500G disk, and it comes with Debian server already installed.
And our old desktops are of a later generation than the PPCs.  There is a
point in computers where old hardware makes no sense, in terms of stress and
reliability.

Unlike with old motorbikes!  A friend rides a fabulous old Velocette, as
shiny and polished as the day it left the showroom, and as marvelous
engineering as ever.