Revserver / Dreamhost question

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 19:39:59 EDT 2010

Richard

On 14 Aug 2010, at 00:10, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> As many here have noted, 30 seconds is a very long time to run a continuous process.  With my CGIs I target a maximum of 5 seconds and may in some extreme cases tolerate up to 10 seconds if absolutely unavoidable, but even that's too long for my tastes; I can't have the user siting there without feedback for that long.

After reading this I wasn't clear whether the 30 second per process limit was imposed on CPU usage or elapsed time. I ran the following test that confirms it is CPU usage.

The iRev file:

	<head>
	</head>
		<?rev
			put "<p>I started at" && the date && the time && "</p>"
			wait 120 seconds
			put "<p>I finished at" && the date && the time && "</p>"
		?>

The result:
 	I started at 8/13/10 6:30 PM

	I finished at 8/13/10 6:32 PM

Personally, I think a 30 second cpu usage limit  per process to avoid looping process is very reasonable and should rarely be an issue when serving web pages. It could possibly be restrictive for server based tasks though.

Regards

Peter