Long-term stability of revVideoGrabber?

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu Aug 5 04:50:46 EDT 2010

The sound component is broken on the Mac version of videograbber in two
ways:

1. There is a sound panel to set parameters, but they don't always 'stick'
when set and there is no instruction available on how to save the params for
the next time as one can do with the video settings.
2. There is a intermittent bug in Quicktime that can cause the sound to be
ahead of the picture.  I've used a few applications that rely on QT for
video capture that have the same sync problems. The only thing that has
worked for me for pro video capture on the mac is Final Cut Pro.

Too bad, too. I had created just the app I always wanted for video archiving
integrated with a database - and had captured quite a few videos that I
eventually had to do over with Final Cut. Oh well.

However, for short clips VG might work very well.  Not sure about the long
term - it may have to be restarted occasionally. Video is hard. This memory
intensive stuff has a tendency to crash more often.   Videograbber has all
the stuff you need to capture - you should be able to set up an automated
test for your idea in little time.

There has been talk of a new, privately commissioned external for
audio/video. Stay tuned.

sqb