revMobile

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Thu Apr 8 20:10:08 EDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Jerry Daniels <jerry.daniels at me.com> wrote:

> I have trouble believing that a pre compiler is a problem. Any framework is essentially the same thing. RevMobile doesn't actually compile anything as far as I can tell. It creates a file(s) to be compiled by Objective-C, yes?

The other tool maker communities are arguing similarly, that if it came down to it the tool could export an XCode project (like Unity does), and you do the final compile from that Objective-C code, Unfortunately, the wording is very clear, that the app needs to be "originally" programmed in Objective-C, and not that it can be Objective-C just at the end. It also says there can't be links to the APIs through an intermediate translation layer. In a sense that's what the revMobile plugin is doing, as a pre-process, not a runtime one.

Hopefully something will get sorted out, because a lot of developers are effected by this. Here's a blog entry, that says that Adobe are going to proceed with the CS5 launch on Monday, so with any luck that means that things are going to be ok in the end:

http://www.peterelst.com/blog/2010/04/09/apple-versus-developers-this-time-its-personal/