DataGrid

Beat Cornaz B.Cornaz at gmx.net
Sat May 30 15:36:46 EDT 2009

  What a wonderful job, Trevor. It is truly amazing.

Just 2 days ago a was pointed to the DataGrid. It helped me solve a
problem I was struggling with for quite a while.

Since I have bee playing with it andI worked through 2 months worth
of list emails to dig out the questions on the Datagrids and was
flabbergasted by the amount of time and energy Trevor put in
answering all the questions. Now that's what I call support. Really
awesome. I will use the Datagrid a lot. It's great to be able to
learn more and more about the Datagrids. I just could delete one of
my questions, because I suddenly knew the answer.

I have studied the manual and the list, so I hope my questions have
not been asked before :

1. Is it possible to print the content (including headers) of a
Datagrid like printing a field. I mean so that the layout of the
Datagrid is kept. This would be absolutely great.
Of course I could 'Print card', but the quality is much less than
printing text from a field. I am afraid it won't yet be possible, as
it is not mentioned in the manual or  on the list.

2. How do I set the number of columns by script?

3. Is it possible to drag a complete  line in a DataGrid to a new
position (custom hand sorting)?

4. How can I lock one column for editing, leaving the others free to
be edited? dgProps["allow editing"] seems to be a global prop.

5. Is it possible for a piece of text to overflow into the next cell
if that cell is empty. If so, how do I do that?

6. How do I 'open up' a cell by script for the user to immediately
type into it.

I noticed that the Datagrid group stays 'grouped', also if I choose
the inverse of 'select grouped'. While ordinary groups yield their
parts, not so the Datagrid.
I am wondering if the only reason is, that the user will not mess up
the coordinates of the parts of the group, or is there another deeper
reason behind?

Trevor, I hope you have still some energy left to answer my many
questions.

much thanks for this great piece of work,

Beat