runrev 4.0 - kudos and a gripe

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 04:32:56 EDT 2009

Why on earth would you want to spend time duplicating programs like
WordPad or TextEdit?

The place is swimming with Text Editors!  And they get rather repetitive
and boring after
the first 258.  :)

This is similar to complaining that you cannot makes bricks with sand:
get over it,
the Egyptians did it with mud 6000 years ago - and its never been bettered!

Admittedly the drop-shadows, while being 'sexy' could easily be run-up in
GIMP or "its commercial rival". The webby-thing, as far as I am concerned,
is a quantum leap, and a "new text field" will just have to wait; after
all we
have reasonably respectable text fields already.

"you can make any kind of application in runrev" is the usual commercial
hype;
however you can have a jolly good stab at it with Runtime Revolution with an
extremely approachable interface.

If Text-Editors really "tickle your prawns" I have a whole series of stacks
'lying around' on my hard drives dealing with all sorts of aspects of text
importing, formatting, editing and exporting (frankly couldn't see much
point in knitting them together for . . . another text editor) which I
can bung
together in a zip file and send them to you so you can curse my name forever
as you try to assemble them into text editor "Number 259".