Rev 4 Preview Webinar - Video Link

Michael mpease at lawandpolitics.com
Fri Jun 26 16:04:05 EDT 2009

Bill:

> Be my guest. We've already spent dozens of hours trying to work around this.

Wow. This took several minutes:

     <http://imp.on-rev.com/webinars/index.html>

Plays on iPods too. (And Zunes. And anything else that plays H.264.)

> The GoToWebinar software we use for our webinars records *only* in WMV -

So I can suggest you use something without that serious limitation?

> file size ... loss in quality

My priority would be compatibility, especially since it's a web-inar. (BTW,
Web <> Windows.)

> Note also that you said you prefer mp4, as if this were a universal format.

It is, for all intents and purposes. It's the new MPG-1. It is not owned by
Microsoft, and it is not owned by Apple or any other OS vendor. Lots of
people on the web think that's important.

> But most Windows users cannot view that format, without having QuickTime or
> other additional software installed

Software has to be "installed" to do anything on a computer. The Rev 4
plug-in will have to be installed, for example.

> So, if you've got an idea that doesn't have these downsides, let me know.

Your own "upsides" require Mac users to install technology that has been
officially discontinued for them by Microsoft, in addition to the problem of
OS vendor ownership of the video format. And I thought QT, which natively
supports but does not own mp4, was necessary for Revolution video on Windows
anyway.

I admit I'm perhaps overly sensitive to video formats on the web, as well as
the continuous onslaught of (clumsy and technologically inferior)
Windows-only lock-ins masquerading as "solutions" on the internet. I do
understand that there are trade-offs among compatibility, efficiency,
practicality and commerce, but this particular trade-off didn't seem
necessary to me.

Thanks,