Filed enhancement request 8133

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 26 03:06:43 EDT 2009

I filed this to ask for 'replace' to have an additional option - to work
like the Sed /s command.  If you aren't familiar with this relic

s/oldtext/newtext/

will replace only the first occurrence of oldtext in a line.  In all lines
of the file, or the specified subset of the file.

s/oldtext/newtext/g

will replace all occurrences of oldtext in the file, or the specified
subset.

Probably the ability to specify subsets is not important any more, there
are easy ways to get the same effect.  But the ability to hit the first
occurrence only in a line would be nice.

I'm sure this is not a super high priority for anyone, but it would be a
nice addition to the string manipulation abilities, save having to roll
one's own, and bring Rev closer to being a real Swiss Army knife.

Peter