Helper apps (was Re: EduTainment Titles)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 25 14:27:49 EDT 2009

Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Are there methods for each platform by which an application could
>> assign itself as the "helper app" for a given file type extension when
>> linked to within a web page?
>>
>> This would let any of us make player apps for stuff, and just clicking
>> it would download and run it like iTunes links.
>>
>> Doable?
>>
>> I realize that's not nearly as convenient as the browser plugin, but
>> that plugin is still several months away and when it's available it
>> won't have an offline mode that one could build into a player (file
>> I/O and other "normal" options available to apps but verboten for
>> plugins).
>>
> Agree, an unhobbled option would be very useful.
>
> I've also proposed in the past that this helper application/Player, just
> like iTunes only comes from Apple, (Real Player from Real, Flash from
> Adobe etc.) be available from an "official" RunRev site.
>
> I can see security issues being of some concern, obviously, but if Apple
> and Adobe can do it, why not RunRev in Edinburgh?

Does it require anything from them?

In Firefox one can assign a default application to run downloaded files
of a given type.  IIRC such a setting is available in IE and Safari as well.

Providing instructions to the user is one way, but it would be ever so
cool to be able to have it "just work", as iTunes links do.

There must be some way, even if it requires a one-time explicit approval
from the user, to allow an app to set this up for them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World