option click, control click, etc

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 05:01:48 EDT 2009

On 25 Jun 2009, at 09:14, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Just to throw a spanner in the works; I have 4 Macintosh computer
> keyboards (USB) and not a single one has an 'Option' key; where
> Apple used to have an 'Option' key there are 'Alt' keys - presumably
> to be more in sync with the PC world: I suppose their documentation
> (like somebody else's, cough, cough, cough) is lagging behind
> somewhat.  Therefore it might be better to use 'Alt' rather than
> 'Option' in any documentation you are writing.

I thought that was a US/UK thing? My UK layout Mac keyboards all have
'alt' on the key, while all the photos on apple.com have 'option' (and
sometimes a small 'alt' as well).

For thoroughness, my approach is to always write 'Option/Alt' in any
modifier combination that uses the option key - due to memories of
learning Photoshop from a book tutorial many years ago and trying to
work out what 'option-click to choose a source location' meant...

Ian