Hide Screen Furniture

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:19:51 EDT 2009

Dear Richmond

> Heaven forfend the thought of over-riding your UI selections
> PERMANENTLY,
> but as it seems perfectly reasonable, under certain circumstances,
> to make
> the Windows Taskbar or the Mac Menubar "take a holiday", it might be
> equally reasonable to clear away an end-user's screen clutter so
> that s/he
> can see the UI of the stack/standalone they are using.
>
> I make the EFL stuff for my school to a standardised 1024 x 768
> screen size, and that's just fine for the Linux boxes; everything
> (meaning the GNOME panel) gets hidden. However, the Mac
> version resizes daftly unless there is a 'hide menuBar' in
> the preOpen Card script.
>
> I don't know about Klaus's Dock, which he claims tucks away
> with hide menuBar; the faithful, old, G3 iMac (running Tiger)
> has to have the Dock set to Hide for that to happen.
>
> Personally, while I like the Dock on the Macs, and use both
> Avant Window Navigator and Cairo Dock on my Ubuntu
> test machine, they do tend to get on my nerves when they
> float around over whatever I am trying to do.

I am trying to understand what is the difference between "hiding
screen furniture" and using "full screen mode" especially when you
appear to be filling the screen on your Linux boxes. I'm sure there
must be a difference as somebody would have advised you to "set the
fullscreen of the stack to true" but I'm lost.

I look forward to finding out.

Regards
Peter Wood