EduTainment Titles

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 19 18:16:12 EDT 2009

Sivakatirswami wrote:

> With the advent of Rev Stacks running inside a browser, there is
> interest here in our shop with the idea of doing educational stackware.
>
> The perception that such titles by CD would probably never do well
> compared to
>
> a) distributing printed materials
> b) PDF's of the same
> c) Some Browser app

This raises a question that I haven't seen a simple answer to:

Are there methods for each platform by which an application could assign
itself as the "helper app" for a given file type extension when linked
to within a web page?

This would let any of us make player apps for stuff, and just clicking
it would download and run it like iTunes links.

Doable?

I realize that's not nearly as convenient as the browser plugin, but
that plugin is still several months away and when it's available it
won't have an offline mode that one could build into a player (file I/O
and other "normal" options available to apps but verboten for plugins).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World