How to put a minus in menu

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Jun 12 10:45:05 EDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Beat Cornaz wrote:

> Thanks Devin & Richmond,
>
> Devin wrote :
>> You could try using an en-dash instead of a hyphen.
>
> I have no idea what an en-dash is (nor does my dictionary). can you
> please explain it to me , Devin?

Sorry, I meant to explain but got in a rush. In typography there are
three "dash" characters—the hyphen, a standard ASCII character as code
point 45, and the en dash and em dash. In printed texts the en dash,
so called because its length is equal to the width of the letter 'n'
in the given font, is used to show things like date ranges, as in 1 –
5 March. The length of the em dash equal to the width of the letter
'm' in the given font. It is used as a true dash, as when using
parenthetical or elaborative comments such as "On modern operating
systems we no longer have to use the double hyphen—instead we use the
em dash, as you see in this sentence."

The trouble with em and en dashes is that they are in so-called "upper
ASCII", meaning their code points are different in MacRoman vs.
Windows CP-1251 or ISO 8859-1. On the Mac you use option + hyphen to
produce an en dash and shift + option + hyphen to produce an em dash.
On Windows en dash can be typed with ctrl + numeric keypad hyphen and
em dash using ctrl + alt + numeric keypad hyphen. In MacRoman, en and
em dashes are ASCII 208 and 209 respectively; in CP 1251 and ISO
8859-1 they are ASCII 150 and 151 respectively.

The HTML escape entities are – and &endash; unfortunately these
entities are not part of the subset of HTML that Rev understands.
Instead you have to use the numeric values – and —.

Probabaly more than you wanted to know, but there it is. :-)

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University