Remote database access: How? and more how?

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Mon Jun 8 09:46:51 EDT 2009

Thank you Nicolas and Mark! I now discern murky shapes on the far side
of the Chasm of Ignorance:

On Jun 8, 2009, at 1:06 AM, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> (2)  put "/PATH/TO/revdb.so" into tExternals
>      set the externals of the templatestack to tExternals
>      create stack "externals"
>      start using stack "externals"
>      -- do the sql stuff
>      close stack "externals"

So. Lets say I install rev as a CGI, and have the revdb external going
as above, what happens in "-- do the sql stuff"? How does my stack,
which has a user name and password ready to go, invoke the cgi and get
back a user ID? What does the "sql stuff" look like?

On Jun 8, 2009, at 1:47 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> A host may not allow direct access to a database. You may indeed
> need a CGI or PHP script, which I do by default nowadays. However,
> if you can connect with Navicat, I'd expect you'd be able to connect
> with any other tool, including your own. Haven't you forgotten to
> set the password handling of the remote MySQL database to old style?

Uh... ??? Does this imply that if I could figure out how and why to
"set the password handling of the remote MySQL database to old style"
I might be able to connect without an intermediating CGI script? I can
do what I like with the host in this case (except shut it down) as
it's not shared. But other (web) apps are using the same MySQL on that
host, so I can't do anything that will affect them. Am I stuck?

On the OTHER other hand... we have Django running on that host. Could
I set up a Django site and use http to post to it (another thing I've
never done with Rev) and receive replies? This has the advantage of
tying in to the other side of the project where users will register
and download the rev tool. Is this the obvious solution?

Sigh. I am so weak on this stuff! If only I could properly visualize
what is happening... it seems to me as if data just materializes from
nowhere and is sent off to nowhere, all wrapped in alphabet soup
gobbledegook which I cannot keep straight for the life o' me:
HTTPFTPTCPIPCGIPHPSFTP...

. . .. ... ..... ACT AGAINST ENTROPY! ..... ... .. . .