[OT] Customs

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:24:25 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Jim Sims <sims at ezpzapps.com> wrote:

> Finding humor in it will extend their inspection of a thousand cuts. Try to
> remain neutral, no laughter, crying, or running.
>
> On a more practical note, try to have everything in a carry on bag. Luggage
> handlers in some countries can cause far more grief than Customs workers.
>
> Good advise.

Personally I always go through the 'Something to Declare' Red Channel.
Typically the custom's card has something about food on it so I always say I
have breath mints or chocolates for my wife. 95% of the time they give me
the 'don't-waste-our-time-look' and directed me to the exit, getting there
faster than those in the 'Green' lane where the Officers are looking for
someone to pick on, those who look like drug users, first time traveller who
are probably trying to bend the duty free rules, foreigners who don't speak
the language therefore probably haven't got a clue about the questions on
the custom's card, those with shifty eyes, anyone who looks suspicious or
wear kilts. For 4% of the time they'll send me to the Green line, so nothing
lost. For 1% of the time they'll actually want to have a look. For the
amount of traveling I do it's well worth it.

Check it out the next time you travel, the Red line is always vacant,
everyone is trying to sneak through the Green channel.