Support (was Re: Call for comments: Rev as a Second Language)

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Tue Jan 27 15:35:41 EST 2009

Hi,

On 27 Jan 2009, at 19:06, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> There should be a big banner plastered across the top of it saying
>> "NO GUARANTEED SUPPORT FOR THIS PRODUCT, SUPPORT IS VIA VOLUNTARY
>> MAILING LISTS AND FORUMS".
>
> But, er, that would be incorrect.

This has been my experience I'm, sad to say.

>> The RunRev "support" model is different from any of the other
>> development
>> environments I have used, and therefore pertinent to anyone
>> starting out using
>> RunRev.
>

> Really?  It doesn't seem particularly bizarre in relation to other
> development
> environments I've used.
>
> Out of curiosity (oh alright, displacement activity because I can't
> get grips
> with what I should be working on)

I do that too!

> For another, I've personally experienced numerous excellent support
> incidents (not all of which, inevitably, succeeded in resolving my
> problems),
> and have never been asked to pay explicitly for support (I do have an
> Enterprise license, but in at least some years I've undoubtedly
> raised more
> than two instances a year).

I'm pleased that you had a good experience, I wish I had!

> I appreciate that you have an unresolved issue.

It is resolved.

> But I don't think that your
> characterisation of RunRev's support is accurate.  It certainly
> doesn't accord
> with my experience; I don't think it accords with your experience
> either,
> judging from the previous discussions, albeit it evidently accords
> with your
> feelings on the matter.

I don't understand this. In my experience the support has not been
good. That's it.

> Your problem apparently received a great deal of
> attention from RunRev's technical support, at no extra cost,
> although they
> have not succeeded (as none of us have) in discovering the cause.

I don't understand this either. Where has the "great deal of
attention" part come from?

All the Best
Dave