Call for comments: Rev as a Second Language

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Tue Jan 27 15:38:06 EST 2009

Le 26 janv. 09 à 22:58, Judy Perry a écrit :

> This could be really nice as a set of bookends, that is, a companion
> piece
> on new users who have never used anything else and Rev is their first
> language (probably not as many of those people, though).
> I'm loving your idea, though!

since this is easy, here are a few languages I have learned (and
forgotten)
1) Fortran WITHOUT ANY ACCESS TO A COMPUTER as part of my engineering
cursus (at that time, I did not even understand what a computer was)
that was in '79
2) Basic on my Sinclair ZX81 (which made me understand a bit about
fortran)
3) assembly language on my Apple II (writing a Forth compiler for the
fun of it) (early 80's)
4) got stuck when I wanted to program on the Mac, but thanks Wild
Bill, there came Hypercard (late 80's)
5) LaTeX (yes, this is a full fledged language (well, TeX, actually))
for my work, on the Mac (beginning late 80's, and still using it
regularly)
6) Matlab (early 90's and since) for my work (and the strict minimum
of C to write "externals" for Matlab)
I tried to learn/use C++, but was despaired by how slooow it was
7) I am trying to evolve from HC to revolution (studio 3.0), but lack
the time and/or motivation to get beyond my HC knowledge.

FYI, my job is in applied mathematics, so, technically, I am not a
professional programmer, although, I need to to do programming
regularly for my job (Matlab fitting the best as a primary language).

My current (on very slooooow time scale) rev project: enhancing the
rev dictionary to get a chance to get some distance and understanding
about the language (and some practice, to boot).

My idea of a good language: focus on content (i.e. what you are good
at), forget the rest.
Good software and eco-system (IMHO): RapidWeaver

Best regards,
	François