veering OT: language history

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Jan 27 12:46:55 EST 2009

Dave-

Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 3:37:50 AM, you wrote:

> Assembler/More Assembler/More Assembler/Dartmouth Basic/Assembler/
> SNOBOL4/SPITBOL/LISP/C/Pascal/C++/RunRev/RealBasic/SQL/Objective-C

Starting to get off topic here, but I don't think SQL counts as a
language any more than HTML does, and for the same reason. My cutoff
point for the definition is support for conditional branching. Without
at least if-then-else constructs you can't do decision making, and so
you're just stringing macros together rather than programming.

That said, I don't think my history was linear:

Dartmouth Basic/assembly/more assembly/Forth/more
assembly/C/Pascal/C++/JavaScript/Java
         |    |    |-Perl
         |    |    |-Python/Ruby
         |    |-Visual Basic/VBA/VBScript