OT: worse video rendering on Vista vs. XP

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jan 9 12:11:28 EST 2009

Recently, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:

> My app plays mov videos and the stack is resizable, including the
> videoplayer. Comparing the quality of the video rendering on Vista and Win
> XP there is a big difference.
>
> Playing the video in the original size, the quality on both systems is
> comparable good.
>
> But when resizing the video, making it bigger, XP seems to have a much
> better rendering engine as Vista. On Vista the increased Video looks very
> poor fragmented, as a very bad compressed jpg. I know, that the video can't
> keep the original quality, when resizing (bigger), but I wonder what makes
> the difference between XP and Vista.

Are you using QuickTime to play video?  If yes, do you have the latest
version installed on both machines?   It may be that QT is not as well
optimized on Vista as XP.  Another issue I find sadly funny is that with the
latest QT, playback of old MOV files can be jittery and temperamental, even
those made by Apple.

BTW, if you're using the native system appearance for your stacks, check the
titlebar of each to make sure the title of the stack is displayed properly.
I recently ran into a bug that caused the stack titles to display as one
character when encountering cards that contained players.  I was unable to
find a fix for this.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director