[VOTE] Tool Palette dissapear randomly Report #8500

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Dec 19 05:23:58 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Wilhelm wrote:
> > > What is really gained by hiding the tools palette when the script
> editor
> > > comes up - and it seems to me to be not only a matter of preferences,
> > > but a real bug, that the tools palette does not reappear when closing
> > > the editor via the close icon?
> > >
> > > Both presently existing defaults are cases where the workflow is
> > > needlessly interrupted, and could be taken as examples for needlessly
> > > increasing the complexity of the Rev IDE.
>
> One man's lost productivity is another man's productivity gained. :)

This may apply in cases, but probably not generally.

> My custom script editor hides palettes when it opens a script because
> those palettes aren't used in scripting and just obscure the scripting
> window I'm now in.

On my medium-sized screen there is ample room besides the Rev tools
stack to accommodate two open script editor windows side by side, so
there is really no need to hide the tools stack in the default
preferences settings.

Instead of hiding the tools palette, a better way to deal with this
issue (in those rare cases where a visible tools palette could be
considered as obstructive) would be to set the systemwindow property of
the tools stack to false, which would enable the script editor window to
be placed on a layer above the tools palette.

> But of course once the script editor is closed or minimized, all those
> layout tools need to come back reliably.

As Alejandro Tejado has stated when he started this thread, this is
apparently not the case, those layout tools *need* to, but actually do
not come back reliably

> I just briefly tested Rev 4 and when I closed the script editor from the
> close box it brought back the tool palettes.  I may have missed a step
> to reproduce that, and of course if you can post a reproducible recipe
> to the RQCC it should be fixed ASAP (it probably won't take long to do).
> --
>   Richard Gaskin

I had indicated the reproducible steps in my post of Dec 15 (thread "Rev
IDE vs MetaCard IDE" ):

"- If you edit a script and close the editor with the close icon -
instead of the compile button - the tools palette (which disappears when
you open the script editor) will not re-appear.",

  i.e. after you have made a change to the script and then do *not* use
the "compile" button, but the close box instead.--

I still think the default preference settings for using the script
editor should be exactly the other way round: Leaving the palettes in
their place and allowing multiple open script windows.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke