Code Samples/Comparisons

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Sat Dec 5 10:09:15 EST 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> In what circumstances would you ever need to use this. The url returns over 1700 lines of text, and so many questions are raised:
>
> -- Why would you download so much data just to get a single item?

There isn't a choice about that, in any language. By giving the RBS code you've already reduced the list down from all companies to just one, but beyond that you would have to have another online script dedicated to extracting the most recent date to cut the returned text down the one line.

> -- How do you know you want the second line? (OK, I realise it's the most recent data item, but it's a special case, and relies on the data always coming back in the right order.)

The data always comes back in the right order.