Vote to disable password protection for revMedia 4 stacks

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Aug 23 00:34:08 EDT 2009

capellan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is an enhancement request for revMedia 4.
> filled in Report # 8234.
>
> Given that revMedia 4 will be free, the option to
> password protect your scripts should be allowed only
> in Studio and Enterprise versions of Rev, just like
> the options to use encryption, Business databases
> and SSL.

Can you provide more compelling reasons for disabling password protection?
(aside from compelling users to move to a paid version)

I'm more interested that revMedia "take off"
in the viral sense of being widely used, RunRev RevTalk
brand becomes as sweet and common as honey in your lemonade.

The question of whether disabling protection enhances
or dampens the "jet fuel" that could push RevMedia to
a wider audience needs to be answered.

in the old hypercard days, could you protect stacks? I can't remember,
it's been so long....

Did this prevent or enhance Hypercard's popularity?
1) Young people probably won't care, even if they can protect there
stuff, they may choose to let others see  their scripts.

2) teachers will,  as pointed out

3) anyone doing a lo-level business app most certainly (who has plenty $
to upgrade)...

in the "space in time" between when the business hacker uses the product
until when he actually pays for the upgrade, if he cannot protect the
stack, it could
make it virtually an unusable option.

4) Free means moving in the public domain, but frameworks in the public
domain often contain intellectual property that must be protected.
Photos, in our magazine are a good example, I *must* protect the PDF
against extraction of images, even though it is patently obvious that
anyone can take a screen shot, but legal culpability falls on that user,
where as if I don't protect the PDF, culpability falls back on the
publisher.  If I have an agreement with a photo agency for certain kinds
of usage etc....there remain all kinds of grey areas that lawyers in NY
are even as we speak, working hard on finding ways to unleash
litigitious minds into the public domain... not knowing where one might
stand in such a future quagmire, one will be simply cautious and protect
the stack rather than live with the anxiety that the content "must not
be freely available on the internet" -- whatever that means In the music
world, its serious business.

5) developers have to make a living, put food on the table, pay for
their kids education, go on vacation to Kauai to visit us here by the
Wailua River.... if they can't protect their work, then that's a
problem... some new developers may want to protect their work from the
get go...

How many user of revMedia fall into categories 3-4-5?  Since they are
the ones who have the $ to upgrade, why hobble their protection
requirements at the beginning?

I don't have the answer... but those questions come to mind.