Rev 3.0 crashing on OS X too (as well as Vista and Linux)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Oct 14 16:41:10 EDT 2008

Bernard Devlin wrote:

> This is just unacceptable.  No-one expects software to be bug-free.  But
> I've heard for years how 'the engine is rock solid'.  Well, if that's so how
> come it crashes so often doing totally trivial tasks.  And across 3
> different operating systems and 3 different pieces of hardware?  And it's
> not even as though I've been working on the same stack when these crashes
> occur.

I know this is really frustrating. But the tasks that fail for you are
so very common that if it were an engine issue I'm sure there would be
lots of reports about it, and there haven't been. I create new stacks
and move fields thousands of times per week, in both Mac and Windows OS,
and it never crashes. The engine really is rock solid for me.

I wonder if there is something hardware-related going on. When you say
you are running under different "pieces of hardware", what does that
mean? Are you running all these operating systems on the same machine,
some in emulation or in bootcamp? Or are the different hardware pieces
different hard drives you boot from? Do you share a monitor among
different machines? What's your hardware setup exactly?

A really good test would be to do a clean install of Rev on an entirely
different computer, like one at a friend's house, and see how it works.
The symptoms you describe are very similar to a bad RAM problem I once
had, but it could also be a hard drive I/O problem, a graphics card
issue, or almost anything, like an overheating CPU.

I have to believe something like this is the cause, since if creating 2
fields and moving one of them caused a crash, I'm sure we'd hear about
it repeatedly. Finding a totally different machine to test on would help
a lot in isolating what's going wrong.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com