Parallels mystery

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 26 19:21:58 EDT 2008

I have an app that plays movies, and today I'm doing my Windows testing
via Parallels (when doing a lot of debugging its shared folders are a
godsend).

This app doesn't use controllers (I know, I know, we'll be changing that
soon, but there's a lot of legacy stuff in this), using "play videoclip"
instead.

Here's the mystery:

If I mount the volume to a labeled drive (e.g., "Z:"), then it works
well like this:

   play videoclip "Z:/Folder/file.mov" at 300,300

But if I use one of Parallels shared folders, the path is different and
it doesn't play:

   play videoclip "//.PSF/Folder/file.mov" at 300,300

The result says "could not open movie file".

I'm not sure what the trouble is, since everything else in the program
works, and there's a lot of stuff happening with paths to multiple stack
files, libraries, etc.

Why does QT choke on .PSF?  Is there a workaround I can do in script, or
must we avoid drives networked in that fashion?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation