What Goes in a Theme Pack?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 26 15:53:38 EDT 2008

Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>> If they don't include vector sources (preferably in Fireworks
>> format, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one)
>> they'll be of limited value.
>>
>> Inevitably any stock graphic will be
>> close-but-not-exactly-what-we-need.
>>   Providing vector sources allows folks to modify every
>> aspect of the image to coordinate with other elements in their UI.
>
> Don't you think Fireworks vectors are kind of hard because of compatibility
> with other products?

Of course, as I noted.  Being the best tool for crafting GUI graphics
doesn't make it the most popular. :)

> Don't you think .ai would be better? Including original
> stuff isnt a problem.

EPS would be a tad more universal, but either should be okay.

> BTW, I use Fireworks myself and far, far prefer it to working with Photoshop
> :-) Im so very glad it was ImageReady and not Fireworks that suffered from
> the Adobe acquisition.

I've talked with a variety of Adobe folks about Fireworks.  They're all
high.  Their answer across the board is "Use Photoshop.  It's better!"
It's as though they've never even booted the product they acquired.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal