Table Field documentation/tutorials/hints/anything

Gordon Sande gsande at hfx.eastlink.ca
Wed Jul 23 13:40:55 EDT 2008

> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:27:43 +0200
> From: Eric Chatonet <eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com>
> Subject: Re: Table Field documentation/tutorials/hints/anything
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Bonjour Gordon,
>
> Le 22 juil. 08 à 22:25, Gordon Sande a écrit :
>
>> I was hoping to use RunRev to display some calculated data
>> in spreadsheet like displays. To be useful I need to select
>> the data to be displayed in each of several such displays.
>>
>> RunRev looked like it might be a good tool. A nice programing
>> language with easy control of graphical output under interactive
>> input. 2.9 Revolution Media seemed like an easy start.
>>
>> Then I read section 4.2.23 on Table Field Control and tried
>> to find anything else. The search command must be broken on
>> my copy of the documentation as I found nothing else. I did
>> find one tutorial which explained that this was an experimental
>> feature as of 2.5 which was both undocumented and subject to
>> various bugs. Lots of custom properties and arcane addressing
>> polynomials to select fields with do-it-yourself handlers.
>>
>> What have I managed to miss?
>>
>> Citations of further documentation would be welcome. Web URLs
>> of examples or tutorials would sure help. Any other hints
>> would also be welcome. Even other solutions to my display
>> problem would be welcome.
>>
>> Eventually I will want to control the size of the cells,
>> the weight of the cell boundaries, the font and styling of
>> the contents and have the displays scroll in their windows.
>> Printing is also on the ToDo list but at this point I can
>> not even figure out how to get any values into a table.
>> Not a great start.
>
> Table fields are an unfinished feature at the moment, more fields
> than tables :-)
> Nevertheless 'How to Manage Table Fields' tutorial might help you:
> This stack, which comprises a Lab section and an Explanations
> section, explains table fields and all the aspects that for the
> moment are still not documented.
> Fully commented scripts lets you start working with them at once.
> You will access this tutorial through "Tutorials Picker" a free
> plugin that interfaces with the So Smart Software website in order to
> display all available tutorials stacks directly from the web.
> You will find it by going to http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
> Revolution/Plugins or Tutorials section.

Thank you. I had found your tutorial stack with its comments on
the state of "table fields" in 2.5. Not much seems to have changed
since it was written.

A full blown table is more complicated if one wants custom shading,
custom borders and custom styling for each cell. Then add on merging
and/or splitting and even diagonal splitting and it is even more fun.

I notice that the recent Pages and Nisus Writer Pro seem to be both
more powerful and easier to use than the tables in some older products
so I would guess there are now better models of what is required.

I was thinking of fairly simple layouts but with more elaborate styling
within cells. Sounds like I will quickly get beyond the "out of the box"
capabilities. I had found your tutorial several different places so
will work through it. Appears to be a good start for my problem.

It would be nice if a full table was in 3.0 but no one has hinted that
it might be coming even soon.