off topic : Parallels alternative : VirtualBox

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Mon Jul 28 09:32:57 EDT 2008

Thierry,

> Merci Pierre for all this info !
>
> Downloaded it , could see in the download pages,
> that VirtualBox for Mac isn't anymore in Beta ( on the
> screenshots's pages they still say it is ! )
>
> As a former user ( well, still yet ) I have Ubuntu 8.04 under
> Parallels.

What about the server's administration tools under Ubuntu ? thanks for
the info !

> Do you know an easy way to convert my Parallels Hard Disk
> Image .pvs / .pvd
> to VirtualBox ? Seems there is a solution via QEMU, but is there
> something more simple ?

QEMU unneeded ! If you don't own VMWare Fusion at this time,

1.-  just download it as a trial version
2.- download from the same VMWare site the VMware Importer.app
3.- drop the Parallels ".pws" virtual drive you want to convert to a
VirtualBox compatible virtual drive
4.- you will get a VMWare ".vmdk" virtual drive
5.- put this ".vmdk" where you want

/Users/pierre/Library/VirtualBox/VMDK/win2000.vmdk can be a good place

6.- and tell VirtualBox to use it as your new converted virtual machine.
7.- that's all !

> And second question, which put this thread in On Topic.

Me !

> Can we share folders from Rev running on MacOS and the second one on
> a virtual machine ?

Yes. After having setup the VirtualBox shared-folder tab, have an eye
on the "netwok favorites by right-mouse-click" to connect a shared
local folder (as X:, Y: or Z:, etc...) under WinXPPro. Take care not
to use networked folders instead (too slow).

> That would be great.... may be I'm again dreaming :-)

No ! Just do it :-)

> ps: I'm on MacBook /2 GB RAM / Tiger

Hope this help,

Kind Regards,