iPhone anyone ?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Thu Jul 17 21:59:45 EDT 2008

Richmond,

> However, I cannot help but see the iPhone as something fairly
> gratuitous when I see horrible poverty just down the road
> from where I live. Now, if somebody would start a factory
> making mobile phones in Bulgaria, rather than propping up the
> stinking Chinese communist regime (Apple!!!!!) quite a few
> Bulgarians might well be able to improve their standard of
> living even to the extent that they can afford an iPhone.
>
> I am sorry to get "all political" on the RR Use-List, but the
> iPhone does seem, somehow, a political issue; as do all the
> other luxury electronic goods, all made in countries with
> nasty, non-democratic regimes.

Hey, arent you a Mac user - a user of the elite, luxury computer that costs
50% more than the equivalent PC? ;-)

When I look at it, I see the final death stroke to the "PDA". There's no
reason now to get something that isnt also a phone - but is it really a
phone, or is it a very powerful little computer that has phone capabilities
almost seamlessly melded into it? It seems to me that if it had more local
storage and didn't have the Apple distribution stranglehold on applications,
the iPhone could eliminate the need for many to carry laptops. There was a
time where I left my laptop when I traveled and only carried a Palm Pilot
and cell phone. That combination of functionality met all my needs (at the
time). I think of the personal value of that combination, and the iPhone
seems reasonable.

Of course, it just seems plain wrong when my kid's friends parents are out
buying iPhones for their 14-15 year olds and adding +$70/month to their
family plans.... ;-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President