A nagging problem with controlling data entry

Charles Szasz cszasz at mac.com
Thu Jul 17 22:02:05 EDT 2008

I have run into a nagging problem with controlling data entry by the user. I
used the following code to limit input to three numbers:

on keyDown pkey
    if pKey is in "1234567890" and the number of chars of target <4 then
pass keydown
end keyDown

I also use the following script in the sext entry field to make sure that
the user enters a score of 90 or higher:

on exitField
     if field "score" < 90
     then
          answer information "The total score must be 90 or higher before a
computation can be completed."
          focus on field "ach"
          delete the selection
     end if
end exitField

The problem arises when I am testing the program. It will provide a dialog
when a number less than 90 is entered in the text field as expected. But
sometimes it will NOT let me enter a number or go to the next field!  I have
tried deleting the focus and the selection from the code but that did not
work either.

On several occasions, I have to force quit Rev because changing from browse
to edit mode did not solve the problem.

I am using Rev 2.9 on a Mac. I have autoTab checked. The field is not
locked. Is there a better code to check for numeric entry and monitor the
entry of certain values in a text entry field?