Alphabeticisation ?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 05:08:40 EDT 2008

Mark Wieder wrote:

"Unless I misread things here, Richmond and I are just
bantering about some antics. No need to get pushed out
of shape."

Exactly right!

A word of advice to Eric Chatonet et al:

I have spent the greater part of my adult life in
countries where English is not the dominant language,
and have a bad command of various languages. What
experience has told me ( and this will be seconded by
my wife who is Bulgarian with an absolutely excellent
command of English ) is that it is extremely difficult
to 'read' register in languages of which you are not a
native speaker. I constantly misunderstand people's
intentions in Bulgarian (which is the language I have
to battle with most of all), their jokes, their moans,
and so forth.

The fact that Mark Wieder and I have been "exchanging
a little love talk" should be fairly clear to native
speakers of English. When I feel an urge to insult
Mark Wieder, have no fear at all, it will be extremely
clear indeed; as I am sure it will be when he really
wants to get at me.
If you have any doubts, I have a reasonably 'good'
track record here on the Use-List!

Re emoticons:

I don't know how low one can sink, but emoticons and
smiley faces "gie me the boke" ("make me vomit"), as
they seem to betray an inability to state how one
feels about something in words, as well as a sort of
teenage infantilism associated with the "f u n e x"
("have you any eggs") school of text-messaging.

Now, if somebody could tell me why fields on Ubuntu
seem to inherit either the stack or the card
background colour, while they don't seem to on Mac OS
I would be grateful as got badly bogged-down there
yesterday.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.