[ANN] Lame Encoder

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Sep 3 13:34:43 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

Thanks for a nifty little utility. I'm having trouble getting it to
work, and I think it may be that I don't know exactly how to install
the LAME lib, or that I didn't modify your script correctly.

I downloaded the pre-built LAME library from http://spaghetticode.org/
lame/ and unzipped it. I ended up with a library
called'libmp3lame.dylib', which I copied to /usr/local/bin. Then I
modified your stack script to say

   put "/usr/local/bin/libmp3lame.dylib -V" & pQuality into tShellString

Then I chose a WAV file as an input and designated an output folder.
I clicked the Encode file button, but the only thing that happened
was that the words "encoding check.mp3" appears above the progress
bar. The progress bar didn't change and no error message appeared.

Have I configured something wrong? I would really like to use this
technique in one of my projects.

Thanks,

Devin

On Sep 2, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> I've made a simple GUI for the LAME mp3 encoder using the shell.
> It's on RevOnline:
>
> Category: General
> Name: Lame Encoder
> User: Mark Smith
>

> Only tested on mac OS 10.3 and 10.4, it assumes that you have LAME
> installed in /opt/local/bin. If you have it installed elsewhere,
> you'll have to edit the stack script to reflect that.
>
> I've used Sarah Reichelts tip on using shell redirection to a file
> to enable a progress bar. Thanks, Sarah!

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University