Rev 2.8.1 NOT Leopard ready!

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 10:56:44 EDT 2007

This only matters if:

1. You intend to develop software for Mac OS 10.5

2. You have installed Mac OS 10.5 on your machine.

Two things occur to me about this:

1. The number of people who use Macintosh computers is
small.

2. Is it worth investing the money for:-

    Mac OS 10.5

    Waiting for RR 2.9.1 and then paying for it

    Paying lots and lots just to get all your
'workhorse' programs
    to work under Mac OS 10.5  ???

As a long-time Mac Fan I am beginning to wonder if Mac
have not done
"A Vista" with Leopard . . .

That is to say: a lot more processor-hungry eye-candy
at the price of all sorts of applications needing
pricey upgrades, plus merry blue-green screens.

I have a few programs that I bought with Mac OS 10.1
that still work really well with Tiger: frankly I
don't have the money or the need to go through the
above. All RR development I do is either deployed on
Windows 98/ME/XP or Debian-derived Linux.

I really wonder why Apple did not call Leopard "System
11" as it does seem more than the glorified bug fixes
that 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 have been.

While I'm on the topic I notice that the projected Mac
 OS 10.4.11 has quietly evaporated after several
developer seeds: obviously to force people who need to
sort out bugs (particularly on Intel Macs) to buy
10.5.

But, Hey, I'm 45, so I'm really looking at a future of
downgrades rather than the reverse :)

Love, Richmond

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.