Redraw issue in OS X Leopard

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 1 17:17:51 EDT 2007

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Jacque,
>
> This happens quite often on any version of Mac OS X. It happens
> particularly when you open a stack and don't give Revolution sufficient
> time to redraw the window, because other handlers are still running. For
> example, handlers called by the preOpenStack handler. Do you have any
> complex scripts that are called by resume or resumeStack handlers?

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark. I don't have any resumestack or resume
handlers at all though, so this isn't it.

> It also happens if Revolution is locked up by e.g. a repeat loop or a
> recursive script, while you bring Revolution to the back and then to the
> front again.

No repeat loops or recursive handlers either. There is one preOpenCard
handler that is time-consuming, but it only runs at startup (this is a
one-card stack) and has finished by the time the window displays and the
user has a chance to switch out of the standalone. Actually, no scripts
are running at all during the switch as far as I know. However, there
may have been a QT movie playing at the time; I'm not sure about whether
that was the case.

> My first guess is that Revolution needs more time to redraw the interface.
>
> Of course, it could also be an issue specific to Leopard. If it is, I
> can't help you yet.

That's what we're thinking. The app behaves fine in all versions of OS X
prior to Leopard and none of us has ever seen this before. The problem
only happened to my client when he started testing under Leopard. Of
course, he may have done something he doesn't normally do and simply
attributed it to Leopard. Hard to say.

I'll try to find out more info, but if anyone else has any ideas I'd
like to hear them.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com