Filemaker through ODBC

John Tregea john at debraneys.com
Mon Oct 1 18:30:30 EDT 2007

Dear Mark,
I am a long time FileMaker Developer and have been using Revolution as a database front end for a short time. Because I am now using Rev as the interface for the database, a lot of the power of layouts, portals and scripts in Filemaker are no longer available.

I have ended up using PostgreSQL as theback end and Rev as the front end (MySQL has costs associated with networked/enterprise usage). PostgreSQL avoids the increasingly expensive FileMaker licensing model and yet provides a very high performance database engine to drive a complex application.

Rev is an excellent front end for this type of architecture as it supports PostgreSQL along with many other databases "out of the box" (come to think of it I have never seen a Rev box)...

You have other choices of course and Ruslan may jump in to tell you about another option called Valentina at this point...

Regards

John

<DIV><FONT face=Verdana size=2> </FONT></DIV>