Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Jun 7 20:03:16 EDT 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>> Just to clarify, Ruby on Rails (I assume that is what you are
>> referring to when you mention 37Signals) is a framework built for
>> an  already existing development language.
>
> I believe Ruby itself is also open source, governed by the LGPL.

Yes it is.

>> Someone could make an open source web application framework in
>> Revolution and would be doing the same thing as 37Signals in this
>> regard, though the underlying language would not be open source.
>
> Agreed; Andre's done some great work toward that end.

Yes he has.

> And since the engine remains free for CGI use, the differences for
> most folks are pretty minor.

In it's current state I don't believe Revolution can be a major
contender in the web space. See my remarks to David concerning the
language. Now, if we had a more extensible language then I believe
you could combine the Revolution development environment with a
Revolution web framework to create some incredible solutions.

>> But personally I don't think the Revolution language is mature
>> enough  yet to venture down this road. The language is not
>> extensible so the  beauty of the Revolution syntax breaks the
>> moment you write  functionality not included in the engine.
>
> On the one hand, we could ask whether we might get to that sort of
> seamless extensibility (SuperCard's Internals Toolbox had it in
> 1994) more quickly if we had multiple programmers working on it via
> an open source process.
>
> But then on the other hand I can't find two more volunteers to do
> some pretty lightweight scripting on the MC IDE, so maybe not. ;)

My feeling is that the core language has to be designed first and
then you can start getting community involvement.  I think that
individuals or small groups are more efficient at designing something
that communities can then take and build upon. Give us an extensible
language and lots of things can happen.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems