Why Save the Mac Mini

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Jul 12 15:05:34 EDT 2007

Hi Paul,

The 13" MacBook has a pleasing, compact form factor, too. And for $1300
gives you 1GB RAM, a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, and 120 GB HD that is easily
upgraded by a layman. (The specs spank the Mac Mini of the same price.)

It sits, lid closed, nicely and silently on my desk, attached to an IOGEAR
4-port KVM (ironically designed to fit a Mac Mini form factor). A couple
keystrokes and I can switch between the Mac, the Windows XP Pro, and the
Windows Vista machines. All using the same LCD, speakers, keyboard, and
mouse. And I never have to open the lid of the MacBook.

I just wouldn't consider purchasing a Mac Mini at ANY of the existing price
points. I don't think it should be "saved" unless redesigned along the
macosrumors info and your point #3. But then it wouldn't be a Mac Mini any
longer.

Re: your reasons to save the Mini:

A: Yup, it's the only legal (EULA-consistent? Supported?), sub-$1K option
for Mac OS X. But the specs on the $600 model are so poor, I wouldn't
consider purchasing one.
B, C, D, F, G, H, I, J, K, N: All apply to the MacBook
E: By the time you get a decently configured Mini, you're paying just as
much as you would for a MacBook that is faster, more upgradeable and better
supported. The $600 unit is just a trap... 512MB RAM? Yuck.
L: I'm sure mouse and keyboard sales are the last thing on Apple's mind.
M: The MacBook has proven to be far more successful as a switcher computer
than the Mini.

- WJM (aka "Bill")