Vista, UAC and Elevation in Rev

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Jul 12 15:12:19 EDT 2007

Unfortunately the whole point of Vista's security model is to enable people
to run as "standard users" on a day-to-day basis, requiring the Admin
credentials only when absolutely necessary. It's a grey area whether program
updates (after the initial install) should require admin rights, I suppose.

But the thing that really gets me about this is the hilarious kludge of
naming your program "Setup.exe" -- I mean isn't that the epitome of a
special-cased hack? I'll bet anything it's there because they didn't want to
break legacy Office and other M$FT software.