Problem with altBrowser

Derek Bump list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Wed Jan 24 17:53:03 EST 2007

Jim Ault wrote:
> Derek,
> Do you mean that the installer should be more capable and informative?

Well, that's not what I mean, but a more capable and informative
installer is never a bad idea.  What I'm talking about is fixing the
following Bugs:

#3988 - 2.7.4 Installer does not create a My Revolution <edition> folder
#4264 - Externals in "My Revolution <edition>/Externals/" folder do not bind

Now I am aware that the IDE is in charge of creating the "My Revolution
<edition>" folder, but the IDE does not in fact do this, which I
reported in Bug #3988.

But I have to wonder... If the Revolution Installer/Updater is in charge
of setting up the system with the software, why would it not create the
"My Revolution <edition>" folder?  With the IDE creating the folder, it
would have to be assumed that if the folder was removed by the user,
then IDE would put it back.  Is that proper program etiquette?  I mean
as the user, do I not have the right to remove a folder that I consider
un-needed?

> I find the installations of Rev rather confusing, esp since they keep
> evolving.  Users should not have to struggle, be mystified (like I am) or
> have to ask the list.  Most users would probably not try contacting the
> list.

I agree with this highly.  The release of the altExternals from RunRev
was, well, I think it could have been handled better.  But no one's
perfect, as I too have made the mistake of releasing software
prematurely.  Happens to every developer at one time or another. :)

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/