Common writable folders

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Jan 17 15:50:38 EST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>>> Well, that's the deal. I couldn't find a way to do that without
>>> using Apple's installer. Most users wouldn't trust a home-made
>>> dialog that asks for their admin password; they want to see the
>>> "official" one. Ergo, package installer time.
>> One thing you can do (and I have done this before) is to make a
>> mock  duplicate of the authentication dialog and use shell() to do
>> the  stuff that requires authentication.
>
> With all due respect, eeewwww!
>
> :)
>
> The last thing I want to do is start a trend of third-party apps
> mocking up the OS authentication dialog.  I imagine that exploit
> will start happening sooner or later if it hasn't already, but I
> don't want anything with my name on it associated with such schemes.
>
> What I'm hoping to find instead is an option for chmod which will
> bring up the OS authentication dialog.  I'll check the chmod's man
> for that and report back what I find.

That's basically the problem as I see it, Richard - chmod will work
if you are logged in as root or with authority, but you need to get
the authority through other means - I don't think there's a way to do
it with just chmod - but I'd be very interested if you find out how
to do it.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/