Common writable folders

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 17 13:21:56 EST 2007

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> I have an app which will be for Mac and Win, and maybe Linux down the
> road, in which I need to store some data in a folder which needs to be
> writable by all users.
>
> Both Mac and Win provide common folders for reading data:
>
>   Mac  /HD/System Folder/Application Support
>   Win  C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data
>
> ...but in my testing here only users with admin privileges can write to
> those folders. :(
>
> What is the OS-recommended place to store common data which can be
> written by any user?

I had exactly the same problem with a currently-shipping app. I'm
writing app-specific data to the two folders you mention above. The only
way we could work around it was to wrap our app in an OS-approved
installer and have the installer set the permissions for our application
support folder to allow access by everyone. The app support/app data
folders don't need their permissions reset; only your own
standalone-specific folder has to be set. For Mac OS X, we used Apple's
package installer. On Windows, most any installer will do this for you.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com