user groups : educators

Marielle Lange mlange at widged.com
Thu Feb 1 12:41:25 EST 2007

> I get all tense and impatient during chat, waiting for people to
> type, and wishing I hadn't joined the chat. One can't really do
> anything else during a chat session.
>
> A whiteboard or video image during chat adds a lot of value to a chat
> session. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Good to see you are optimistic and expect to have a lot of persons to
join ;-). I kind of agree. Once there are more than 3 persons text
chats can be cumbersome. Voice chats are faster. Still, voice chats
with more than 5 are a bit unpractical.

The chore idea, however, is to have a regular meeting. That is an
arranged time where we expect to meet others and discuss. The fact
there is a meeting planned often force to think of content for that
meeting. Which generates more discussion than if persons are free to
post whenever they want.

What you describe, video image... a teacher friend of mine told me
about such a software (PC only unfortunately). I forgot the
details... I will have to get back to her.

Let's start with an easy question. Let's forget about technology for
now.

Would teachers/educators/academics on this list be interested in
regular meetings? Is there some need to have subgroups like primary/
secondary/higher education. Are there persons interested in special
areas like special needs, ICT & learning to program, science, history/
geography, etc?

What about organizing at least a first meeting (chat or any other
means) where educators can introduce themselves to one another so we
know names and interests?

What are the views of other users on this?

Marielle