Shell commands on Windows XP Home Edition

Mark E. Powell runrev at aboutmyfiles.com
Thu Aug 9 16:27:41 EDT 2007

I just learned the hard way that there are many shell commands that run under XP Pro that don't exist in XP Home (systeminfo and tasklist are my failures du jour).  Three questions, please:

First, (systemVersion = "NT 5.1") tells me only XP.  Is there someway I can further distinguish Pro from Home?

Second, if anyone has dealt with this phenomenon before I would like to know how you succeeded in infusing an XP Home client with XP Pro command line capability.

Third, does a master cross-reference exist somewhere that enumerates what shell commands are compatible from Win 2000 through to Vista?

Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark