Quicktime Multimedia Authoring - Nearly Dead?

Greg Smith visionto at visiontovision.com
Thu Oct 19 10:18:32 EDT 2006

In my quest for finding the ultimate multimedia authoring tool, I've come to the tentative
conclusion that QuickTime, (as far as an authoring platform is concerned), is falling so far
behind that it could soon be considered "dead".  Apple, the very folks who should be
promoting solutions for interactive QuickTime haven't done anything, themselves, for years.
The two applications that I find to be the most advanced QuickTime authoring solutions,
(LiveStage and VideoClix), haven't done anything to make their packages attractive to new
authors, not in years, either.  Visiting the LiveStage website reveals that they are now
focusing on being content providers, themselves, rather than offering an authoring solution
for others.  When emailing the VideoClix people for some technical answers, I get no
response at all.

So, it looks to me like Flash authoring, for the present, is the only viable, practical and timely
solution for the kind of interactive authoring I need to perform.  Also, for the Mac, there is
only one thorough solution.  And, though I hate supporting these corporate monsters, I went
ahead and purchased the Macromedia Authoring Studio, for the total lack of finding anything
comparable elsewhere, at any price.  Very sad.

Greg Smit