Context-free error messages during debugging

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Oct 15 14:29:34 EDT 2006

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 01:58:48 +0200, Mark Schonewille
<m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:

>> Hi Graham,
>>
>> You could adjust the message box to throw errors instead of
>> displaying them in its lower field, but it is probably easier to
>> create your own message box and save that as a plugin. Just make a
>> palette window with a field and the following script:
>>
>> on enterInField
>>    do me
>> end enterInField
>>
>> This kind of errors (Chunk: can't find card) occurs after referring
>> to a property of a nonexisting card, such as
>>
>> put the bla of cd x
>> put the name of btn x of cd y
>>
>> Sorry, there are too many possibilities to give an exact cause of the
>> error, but I hope this helps anyway.

Mark, thanks for replying, but I remain confused. What I am saying is
that I don't see that the engine has any excuse for not telling me
the full context of an execution error, and I wonder why it does this
sometimes and not at other times. I think it is worthy of reporting
as a bug (at least a bug in the IDE), but to do this I need to
understand more about how and why these 'context-free' reports
appear. I'm a bit surprised we don't hear more about them from other
developers.

Also, I couldn't follow your idea of creating my own message box - I
am only looking at the message box because that's where this context-
free error report appears; otherwise it is not implicated at all.
What would 'do me' do, exactly? I am not trying to run scripts in the
message box, I'm just running them regularly in objects like
applications normally do.

Graham