executionContexts

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sun Oct 15 05:40:10 EDT 2006

The point here is surely a practical one.
RR have built executionContexts into the language for their own
purposes, having written the IDE in transcript/revolution (eating
their own haggis, as they put it), and presumably they needed it for
some aspect of writing an IDE.

Assuming that they put it in there with the expectation that they may
need to change the way it works, or even what it does, they chose not
to include it in the general documented description of the language.

We are all free to use it, but RR have no responsibility to ensure
that it will work as we expect in future, unlike the documented
features of the language, which they must be very careful of changing.

We all have bought Revolution, and all versions, AFAIK, 'contain' all
sorts of things to which we do not have access, and wouldn't expect to.

Best,

Mark