[OT] - REALBasic Claims 100K Users

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Wed Oct 4 16:20:36 EDT 2006

I'm a FORMER user of REALBasic.  I never used it for major (multimedia)
development, like I do use Revolution now.   I guess I am still counted in
the 100,000.

BTW, I fired up my RB 5.5 the other day and almost fell off my chair when
the Windows firewall came up and told me it was trying to connect to the
internet!  Why is RB connecting to the internet?  And what is it
doing?  Why would it phone home?

Perhaps that is how they get their user count... it tells them every time
you run it.

Peter aka RB User #1,354

At 01:24 PM 10/4/2006, you wrote:
>In a press release <http://www.macmegasite.com/node/3201> today, REALBasic
>indicated its product now produces Universal Binaries, but I found it more
>intriguing that they claim 100,000 users of their product. I can't believe
>that's a real number but if it is, they have clearly been doing a lot of
>growing in the past 12-18 months, probably at the expense of VB which has
>driven its users away in droves with its stupid "take .NET or go away"
>approach.
>
>That would also mean they are *considerably* larger than I suspect RunRev is
>(though RunRev, like most companies, doesn't reveal installed-base numbers).
>
>--
>Dan Shafer, Information Product Consultant and Author
>http://www.shafermedia.com
>Get my book, "Revolution: Software at the Speed of Thought"
> From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html

Peter T. Evensen
http://www.PetersRoadToHealth.com
314-629-5248 or 888-682-4588