[OT] - REALBasic Claims 100K Users

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 4 18:04:34 EDT 2006

Dan Shafer wrote:

> Threads we need. Nested arrays we can simulate.

Was it H.L. Mencken who said "Arrays are the devil's playground"?

Okay, maybe not.

While I find threads intriguing, in practice I can't say I've had much
of a need which was worth the debugging/maintenance overhead.  And in
the rare cases where I need the illusion of concurrency (prior to
multiprocessors threading was always just an illusion, and even with
them there is still some overlap) I've found maintaining a queue of
tasks to run at idle with "send in" to take care of my modest needs.

What sorts of tasks would threading be essential for?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal