The basics of a chat program

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Tue Nov 28 02:05:55 EST 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 10:32 PM, Mark Talluto wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Jan Sælid wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>>

>> I would be very grateful if anyone on the list could give me some
>> directions
>> in creating a simple chat program. I just need something to start
>> with. Have
>> anyone created one? Is it possible to test it on one single
>> machine (with
>> one IP address.) I tested a program I found on go revnet called
>> “chatter
>> box”. I tried to communicate with this program from one desktop to
>> a laptop.
>> The desktop was on lan and the laptop was on wlan. Both had
>> different ip
>> addresses. No result.
>>

>> As you probably understand, I’m completely green when it comes to
>> communication and just need a simple kick off, a understandable
>> program or
>> code that I can build on.
>
> I wrote chatter box but have not looked at it in some time. The
> only prerequisite was that you needed to know the ip of the two
> systems talking.  I'll take a look at it again and make sure it is
> working.  The program does not work on the server model.  It is a
> peer to peer model.

I just made a couple of modifications.  I uploaded a new version just
now.  The program does work once you enter in the other user's ip.  I
just tested in on my MBPro with the Mac talking to my Win system on
Parallels.  Worked great!  Let me know if you need any direct help on
using it.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software