[OT?] HTML email is evil - or, why we get so much spam

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 19:20:22 EST 2006

On 11/25/06, Bernard Devlin <revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com> wrote:

>  I don't
> expect Runrev to stop sending HTML emails.  I will try to find some
> way to program round it in Notes.

You originally stated that Rev was one of the few companies that sent you
html email so it should be relatively simply to create an 'early' rule that
lists all these companies and saves the email as valid. From a quick scan of
the htlml emails I receive, the one's I get from mum for my birthday that
have the nice .gif or .jpg images always include the image file whilst the
ones you're worried about will contain a line http://www....

If you run a 'last' rule to look for 'http://www' and mark it as 'possible
spam' you should be able to wheedle out the emails with http call backs.
Assuming that you already have rules to save emails from people in your
address book, the only 'good' emails that might get filtered to the wrong
place is an email from someone new that contains a full web link - pretty
rare, most people just go with www.checkthisout.com and leave off the http.

HTH