Where Rev could be going...3D?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Wed Nov 22 20:33:10 EST 2006

There are probably a dozen different angles on improving the API,
however... my number one would be support for any sort of custom
object. It's nearly impossible to maintain anything inside of a Rev
window. Note that the guys at Altuit did a masterful job with
altBrowser, but that it still technically lives in a separate,
borderless window that's been hacked to stay pinned to your Rev
stack. And from what I gather (and my own experiments), that itself
is not an easy task.

I'd say this is the #1 reason why we don't see things like true table
and tree objects that are absolutely accessible through C APIs -
tacking it on to a Rev stack is a nightmare.

If the external SDK included a standard way of maintaining your own
custom objects, that would be a huge boon to external developers...
even if it wasn't totally comprehensive. I'd be at the front of the
line personally to implement a true table object, for example.